Apple Cider Molasses

Apple Cider Molasses

I saw a post about this a while back on a site that I frequent. It looked really good, so I thought I would give it a shot. Basically what you do is take apple cider, the good stuff, not the "from concentrate" junk, and boil it down until you have 1/7th the volume. So if you started with 7 gallons, you'd end up with 1 gallon of Apple Molasses.

While at the store the other day, I saw this:
So I picked up a half gallon figuring it'd be great to try out for the molasses.

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon so with nothing better to do I put it in a pot and let it boil away. I think it took right about 3 hours to cook down. If I did my math right, 1/7th of a half gallon works out to just over 1 cup. When I had finished I had about a cup left. I think I probably should have let it go a little longer, since the consistency was more like warm maple syrup then molasses, but the taste.... WOW! It's almost like biting into a fresh apple.

The day before we had picked up some cured/smoked pork chops from the butcher while we were there getting our 1/2 side of beef, so since apples and pork go so well together we decided that we'd try the molasses on the pork chops for dinner. We cooked the pork chops like any other pork chop, browned on both sides in the skillet then finished in the oven. Once they came out we drizzled the hot molasses over top. I have to say they were outstanding! The combination of the smoked pork chop with the apple flavor went so well together I wish I had bought 3-times as many. I could eat them for dinner every night.

Up next, I'm going to make some more molasses and try to modify a molasses cookie recipe and make some apple cookies. Stay tuned for that one.

Comments

Popular Posts