Fresh blueberry pie

Pineapple, blueberries and strawberries. My favorite fruits hands down. When my wife and I bought our current house a little over a year ago I was pleasantly surprised to find a blueberry bush in the back of the house. It didn't get too many berries last summer, but this year the weather has been very cooperative and it's been going crazy.

Over the weekend I pick quite a few berries, and had enough to make pie. Roughly six cups, more or less, of some very large blueberries. Most of them seem to be about half an inch in diameter. And oh so sweet. Washed and cleaned of all stems and leaves, etc.

Now, being that free time is at a premium lately, I opted for the cheap route and bought a pre-made pie shell. I couldn't find any frozen pie crust, only crusts that were already formed into those cheap aluminum pie plates. Never again will I do that. It would be fine for a bottom-crust-only pie, but trying to thaw out the other pie, remove it from the pie tin and flatten it out and use it as a top crust was impossible. The dough was so thin it would tear just by me touching it. In the future I will make crust from scratch, no matter how much free time I have or don't have.

The ingredients for the filling were super simple. Sugar, flour, cinnamon, a little lime juice and cut up chunks of butter. Mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon together with the berries, and pour into the pie crust. Sprinkle with lime juice, and add butter.
I should have mixed this up a little better, there was plenty of left over flour mixture that didn't stick to the berries. I just added it on top. I should have layered it or mixed it better to begin with.

As I previously said, the top crust was a bear. I couldn't get it do anything without ripping it. So I did the best I could with it. Not very pretty looking, but it'll work. Added foil around the edges so it wouldn't burn.
Into a 425 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes. When done the crust should be nice and browned and the juices should be bubbling from the cuts in the top. Cool on a rack for a minimum of 2 hours before cutting.



 While it doesn't look very pretty due to the tears and holes in the crust, it sure tastes great.

As you can see in this picture, some of the flour mixture didn't get mixed in enough and ended up being like chunks of streusel in the filling. Which is still good! In all, this was a great easy summer time dessert, and a great use of my blueberries.

Ingredients

  • 6 cups blueberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces (optional)
  • Pie crust for top and bottom
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Wash and clean blueberries
  3. Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl
  4. Add blueberries and mix well
  5. Add pie crust to the bottom of a pie tin, pour in blueberry mixture, if extra flour mixture is left over, pour on top of blueberries
  6. Sprinkle with lime juice
  7. If using butter, add on top of blueberry mixture
  8. Add top crust, crimping and folding the edge. Cut 4 large slits in crust to vent
  9. Using 2-3 inch wide strips of aluminum foil, cover the edge of the pie to prevent burning
  10. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes, removing aluminum foil for the last 15 minutes. Pie is done when the crust is golden brown and juice bubbles from the slits in the crust.
  11. Cool for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.


Comments

Popular Posts